Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. There are no residency requirements and a couple may go into any
Circuit Court to obtain a marriage license; however, the marriage must take place in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once the license
is issued, there is no waiting period and no blood rest required. The marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days and the Clergy,
Minister or Civil Celebrant performing the ceremony must be authorized by a Circuit Court of this Commonwealth.
What to Bring:
To obtain a marriage license, both parties must:
- Appear in person in the Clerk's Office
- Bring a valid form of identification such as a driver's license, a passport or military identification.
- Bring a $30 fee. The Clerk's Office accepts Cash, Check, Visa or MasterCard. (please be advised there is a 4% convenience fee when using credit or debit card)
- You will need to know your mother's and father's full name at birth.
- You must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor with a certified copy of the Emancipation Order
- Both parties must complete the application and verify the information given. The Clerk/Deputy Clerk will administer an oath and both parties will sign the application affirming the information is correct to the best of their knowledge.
- After the application is complete, you will be given an envelope that contains two licenses to give to your Marriage Officiant. Again, the marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days.
- The Clergy, Minister or Marriage Officiant performing the ceremony must completely fill out both licenses and return them to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office within 5 days after the ceremony.
After the Ceremony:
After the Clerk's Office has received and recorded your license, you may obtain a certified copy. You will need a certified copy if requesting a change of name either with the Division of Motor Vehicles or the Social Security Administration. You may either appear in person in the Clerk's Office or you may mail your request. The fee for each certified copy is $2.50. You will need to know both names of spouses, the date of the marriage and the location of the ceremony. If mailing the request, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and mail to:
Henry County Circuit Court
Attn: Marriage License
3160 King's Mountain Road, Suite B
Martinsville, VA 24112
List of Civil Celebrants for Henry County:
- Truman Adkins (276) 340-9152
- Richard D. Cox (276) 340-1618 - needs to know one day in advance
- Linda H.Ganes (276) 224-2804 - needs to know one day in advance
- Bevelie Panizzi (276) 957-1323 or (276) 252-8337
- Philip T. Sparks (276) 340-7445