Henry County Department of Public Safety offers Firefighter 1, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter 2 as well as three National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) courses annually. Continuing education courses, CPR, First Aid, and Specialty courses for Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management are offered on an on-going basis. 2018-2019 classes are listed below and updated as new classes are added:
Initial Fire Classes:
Firefighter 1: July 30-Dec. 1, 2018
Hazmat Operations: Dec. 3, 2018-Jan. 5, 2019
Firefighter 2: February 4, 2018
Road Ready NREMT: September 11, 2018- March 7, 2019 This class includes additional certifications meant to graduate NREMTs who are able to volunteer or gain employment straight out of class.
Online NREMT: March 1-May 17, 2019 All course work for this class will be completed online. In person hands-on classes will also be required.
Summer Accelerated NREMT: June 4-August 29, 2019 This class is a combination of online and twice a week (Tues/Thur evenings) in person classes.
Continuing Education Hours:
CE Mondays: The second Monday of every month ALS and BLS continuing education classes are held at the Emergency Services Training Center. (HCDPS, 1024 Dupont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112)
- Carilion Lifeguard 10: Sept. 10, 2018 from 6:00pm-10:00pm Topics: HEMS Utilization, All Things Peds-Medical & Trauma.
- Air Methods: Oct. 8, 2018 from 6:00pm-10:00pm Topics: Abdominal Trauma, Extremity Trauma, Trauma in Pregnancy, and Hypovolemic Shock.
- Aircare: November 12, 2018 from 6:00pm-10:00pm Topics: TBD
BLS CE: CEs for BLS providers are also available every Tuesday and Thursday in the NREMT classes.
ALS CE: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) full two-day and recert one-day classes are offered monthly except in July. Advanced registration is required as seating is limited. Providers must hold a current card to attend the one-day recertification classes. Contact Suzie Helbert at email@example.com to register.
EVOC: Henry County Department of Public Safety offers both the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads (VAVRS) and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs (DFP) Emergency Vehicle Operators Courses (EVOC) classes 1,2, and 3 multiple times each year.
- VAVRS EVOC: November 17-18, 2018
MISCELLANEOUS CLASSES: HCDPS offers a wide variety of additional classes each year to include Fire and EMS specialty classes and Emergency Management classes. For the most recent updates of classes offered at HCDPS follow Henry County Department of Public Safety on Twitter and Facebook. All classes are held at HCDPS, 1024 DuPont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112 unless otherwise noted.
- ICS 300: Sept. 7-9, 2018 For information contact Kenny Shumate at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pipeline Awareness: Sept. 13, 2018 Register at Pipeline Awareness Class Registration
- Communications 101: Sept. 20, 2018 at 6:00pm
- Driver/Pump Operator: Dates TBA For information contact Kenny Shumate at email@example.com
- Firefighter Instructor 2: Dates TBA For information contact Kenny Shumate at firstname.lastname@example.org
HCDPS Training Division contact information:
Chief of Training and Volunteer Coordination: Suzie Helbert, 276-634-4662 or email@example.com
Assistant Chief of Training (Fire): Kenith Shumate, 276-634-4658 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Chief of Training (EMS): Adam Martin, 276-634-4663 or email@example.com