Concealed Handgun Permit
Instructions for New & Renewal of Concealed Handgun Permits
*FIRST TIME APPLICANTS MUST APPEAR IN PERSON. RENEWALS MAY BE SUBMITTED VIA US MAIL*
1. Fill out the State Police's Concealed Handgun Application with no abbreviations.
- You must provide a copy of your photo ID.
- You must provide proof of competency with a handgun for initial permits. Please refer to the State Police Website for a list of acceptable documents. (i.e Handgun Safety Course Certificate, Hunter Safety Certificate, Military ID or Military Discharge Papers)
- For Renewals please provide a copy of your Concealed Handgun Permit.
2. Deliver the application to the Henry County Circuit Clerk's Office at the Henry County Courthouse located at 3160 King's Mountain Road, Suite B, Martinsville Va with payment of $35.00
3. The Clerk's Office will submit the completed application to the Sheriff's Office for a Criminal Background Check.
4. Once the Sheriff has completed the Criminal Background Check the Judge will sign an order approving or denying the permit.
- If your permit is approved, the Clerk's Office will prepare your permit.
- If your permit is denied, you are entitled to an ore tenus hearing within 21 days.
5. The Clerk's Office will then mail you a post card letting you know your permit is ready for pick up.
6. Once your permit is signed the Clerk's Office will laminate your permit for $1.00.
Processing can take up to 45 days.
Reciprocity and Recognition
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Map
ADDITIONAL FORMS *Please submit your completed form, a copy of Permit (if available) and your ID along with payment to Henry Co. Circuit Court 3160 Kings Mountain Rd., Ste. B, Martinsville VA 24112