Community Education: Contact Suzie Helbert at 634-4662 to schedule a class for your group.
- Until Help Arrives: A one hour class in which students learn how to Stop The Bleed using tourniquets and how to perform Hands-Only CPR. These two life-saving skills can make all the difference if started on-scene UNTIL HELP (EMS) ARRIVES.
- Stop the Bleed: A two hour class focusing on how to Stop The Bleed using a variety of tourniquets and wound packing techniques. Students learn why it is critical that individuals on-scene (Immediate Responders) begin care to Stop The Bleed in an active shooter situation before EMS is able to make entry.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED: A five hour class covering medical illnesses, injuries, and environmental emergencies. Students also learn CPR, Rescue Breathing, and use of an AED. This class meets the requirements for teachers, daycare workers, industry, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider: A four hour class which teaches CPR, Pulse Checks, Rescue Breathing, Bag Valve Device, and AED use. This class meets the requirements for CNAs, nurses, doctors, EMS providers, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider Recertification: A two hour class meeting the requirements for recertification of BLS for the Healthcare Provider.
Emergency Services Classes: Open both to the public and members of Fire Departments and Rescue Squads.
Henry County Department of Public Safety offers Firefighter 1, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter 2 as well as National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) courses annually. Continuing education courses, CPR, First Aid, and specialty courses for Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management are offered on an on-going basis.
2021 initial classes are listed below and updated as new classes are added:
EMT Course begins June 14th. For more info, contact Linda Miller, course coordinator.
EMS Continuing Education Hours:
CE Opportunity: CEs for ALS & BLS providers available on the third Wednesday evening of every month from 1800-2100. Contact Hamp Ingram to register.
ALS Courses: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) full two-day and recert one-day classes are offered monthly except in July. Advanced registration is required as seating is limited. Providers must hold a current card to attend the one-day recertification classes. Contact Suzie Helbert for more information.
EVOC: Henry County Department of Public Safety offers both the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads (VAVRS) and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs (DFP) Emergency Vehicle Operators Courses (EVOC) classes 1,2, and 3 multiple times each year.
EMS QUALITY MANAGEMENT (QM) PROGRAM - STREAMEMS
Henry County's monthly CE webcast, StreamEMS, is held on the third Wednesday of each month from 1800 - 2100. Participation in , including lecture and skills, is required for all Henry County EMS providers who wish to remain authorized to practice with any of the 5 Henry County Volunteer EMS agencies and Public Safety. Attendance of one event per quarter satisfies the quarterly QM program requirements mandated by the county operational medical director. Providers may attend StreamEMS at any of the volunteer rescue squads or the Emergency Services Training Center. Contact Hamp Ingram for more information on StreamEMS.
MISCELLANEOUS CLASSES: HCDPS offers a wide variety of additional classes each year to include Fire and EMS specialty classes and Emergency Management classes. Henry County volunteer Fire and EMS agencies also offer various classes throughout the year. For the most recent updates of classes offered follow Henry County Department of Public Safety on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and on the list below. All classes are held at the HCDPS Emergency Services Training Center, 1024 DuPont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112 unless otherwise noted. Call 276-634-4660 for registration information.
|National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT)||June 14||1800|
|StreamEMS “Look at the Birds, Two!” Ops||June 16||1800|
|Pediatric Advanced Life Support (Initial)||June 23 & 24||0800|
|Rural Water Supply||June 26 & 27||0800|
|Henry County Fire Association Meeting||July 8||1800|
|Pediatric Advanced Life Support (Recert)||July 15||0800|
|StreamEMS “Feel the Burn!” Trauma||July 21||1800|
|Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Recert)||July 23||0800|
|Firefighter 1||July 26||1800|
|StreamEMS “Forensics And EMS” Medical||Aug 18||1800|
|Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Recert)||Aug 20||0800|
|Pediatric Advanced Life Support (Initial)||Aug 25 & 26||0800|
|StreamEMS "Communications 101"||Sept 15||1800|
Please subscribe to our email listserv in order to receive updates and notifications of events and training going on pertaining to the Henry County Emergency Services System by clicking here.
HCDPS Training Division:
Deputy Director, Chief of Training and Volunteer Coordination: Suzie Helbert, 276-634-4662
Assistant Chief of Training (Fire): Kenny Shumate, 276-634-4658
Assistant Chief of Training (EMS): Hamp Ingram, 276-634-4663