Community Education: Contact Suzie Helbert at 634-4662 to schedule a class for your group.
- Until Help Arrives: A one hour class in which students learn how to Stop The Bleed using tourniquets and how to perform Hands-Only CPR. These two life-saving skills can make all the difference if started on-scene UNTIL HELP (EMS) ARRIVES.
- Stop the Bleed: A two hour class focusing on how to Stop The Bleed using a variety of tourniquets and wound packing techniques. Students learn why it is critical that individuals on-scene (Immediate Responders) begin care to Stop The Bleed in an active shooter situation before EMS is able to make entry.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED: A five hour class covering medical illnesses, injuries, and environmental emergencies. Students also learn CPR, Rescue Breathing, and use of an AED. This class meets the requirements for teachers, daycare workers, industry, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider: A four hour class which teaches CPR, Pulse Checks, Rescue Breathing, Bag Valve Device, and AED use. This class meets the requirements for CNAs, nurses, doctors, EMS providers, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider Recertification: A two hour class meeting the requirements for recertification of BLS for the Healthcare Provider.
Emergency Services Classes: Open both to the public and members of Fire Departments and Rescue Squads.
Henry County Department of Public Safety offers Firefighter 1, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter 2 as well as National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) courses annually. Continuing education courses, CPR, First Aid, and specialty courses for Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management are offered on an on-going basis.
2020 initial classes are listed below and updated as new classes are added:
Firefighter 1: TBA
Firefighter 2: Begins March 2, contact Kenny Shumate for registration information
EMS Continuing Education Hours:
CE Opportunity: CEs for ALS & BLS providers available on the third Wednesday evening of every month from 1800-2100. Contact Hamp Ingram to register.
ALS Courses: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) full two-day and recert one-day classes are offered monthly except in July. Advanced registration is required as seating is limited. Providers must hold a current card to attend the one-day recertification classes. Contact Suzie Helbert for more information.
EVOC: Henry County Department of Public Safety offers both the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads (VAVRS) and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs (DFP) Emergency Vehicle Operators Courses (EVOC) classes 1,2, and 3 multiple times each year.
EMS QUALITY MANAGEMENT (QM) PROGRAM
Contact Hamp Ingram for more information on webcasting locations for StreamEMS. Attendance to the quarterly Operational Medical Director's QM program including lecture and skills is required for all Henry County EMS providers who wish to remain authorized to practice with any of the 5 Henry County Volunteer EMS agencies and Public Safety.
MISCELLANEOUS CLASSES: HCDPS offers a wide variety of additional classes each year to include Fire and EMS specialty classes and Emergency Management classes. Henry County volunteer Fire and EMS agencies also offer various classes throughout the year. For the most recent updates of classes offered follow Henry County Department of Public Safety on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and on the list below. All classes are held at HCDPS, 1024 DuPont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112 unless otherwise noted. Click highlighted area for registration information.
|EMS CE "CPAP/BiPAP" (Airway Areas 11 & 16) WEBCAST ONLY||Apr. 15||1800|
|ACLS (Recert)||Apr. 17||0800|
|ACLS (Full Course)||May 14 & 15||0800|
|EMS CE "Hot, Hot, Hot!!" (Medical Areas 14 & 19)
|ACLS (Recert)||Jun 5||0800|
|EMS CE "Look At the Birds! (Medevac Operations)" (Ops. Areas 15 & 20||June 17||1800|
|General Aviation for Firefighters||TBA|
HCDPS Training Division:
Deputy Director, Chief of Training and Volunteer Coordination: Suzie Helbert, 276-634-4662
Assistant Chief of Training (Fire): Kenny Shumate, 276-634-4658
Assistant Chief of Training (EMS): Hamp Ingram, 276-634-4663