Each year, nominations are accepted for the "Outstanding Military Veteran" award. The award will go to the nominee judged by the selection committee to best represent what service to our Country and the community means. The award was created in 2009 by the Board of Supervisors at the suggestion of Board member Debra Buchanan. With the support of the Martinsville City Council, the award has been expanded to allow nominations of both Martinsville and Henry County Veterans.
All 2022 nominations must be submitted using the online form or by completing and printing the nomination form. All nominations must be received in the County Administrator's Office or City Manager's Office by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 21, 2022.
Questions about the "Outstanding Military Veteran" award can be directed to the County Administrator's Office at (276) 634-4601 or the City Manager's Office at (276) 403-5155.
Previous Award Recipients
- 2022 - Russell Clark Stone
- 2021 - Curtis R. Millner, Sr.
- 2020 - David King
- 2019 - Charles A. Washburn
- 2018 - Warren “Sonny” Richardson
- 2017 - Walter E. Sheppard
- 2016 - John R. Redd
- 2015 - Thomas Spencer
- 2014 - Robert L. Hazlett, Jr.
- 2013 - S.T. Fulcher
- 2012 - Herbert S. Gibbs and Wilfred "W.C." Fowlkes
- 2011 - Donald James Myers
- 2010 - Olaf Hurd
- 2009 - David Kipfinger and James Rogers