- Public Safety
Sign up to receive emails about Fire/EMS Training.
Unless otherwise noted. Call 276-634-4660 for registration information or register online for select classes.
Follow us on Facebook for photos, news, and local Fire/EMS information and Emergency Preparedness tips.
Contact Suzie Helbert to schedule a class for your group.
- Until Help Arrives: A one-hour class in which students learn how to Stop The Bleed using tourniquets and how to perform Hands-Only CPR. These two life-saving skills can make all the difference if started on-scene UNTIL HELP (EMS) ARRIVES.
- Stop the Bleed: A two-hour class focusing on how to Stop The Bleed using a variety of tourniquets and wound packing techniques. Students learn why it is critical that individuals on-scene (Immediate Responders) begin care to Stop The Bleed in an active shooter situation before EMS is able to make entry.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED: A five-hour class covering medical illnesses, injuries, and environmental emergencies. Students also learn CPR, Rescue Breathing, and use of an AED. This class meets the requirements for teachers, daycare workers, industry, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider: A four-hour class which teaches CPR, Pulse Checks, Rescue Breathing, Bag Valve Device, and AED use. This class meets the requirements for CNAs, nurses, doctors, EMS providers, etc.
- AHA Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider Recertification: A two-hour class meeting the requirements for recertification of BLS for the Healthcare Provider.
Emergency Services Classes
Open both to the public and members of Fire Departments and Rescue Squads.
Henry County Department of Public Safety offers Firefighter 1, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter 2 as well as National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) courses annually. Continuing education courses, CPR, First Aid, and specialty courses for Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management are offered on an on-going basis.
EMS Continuing Education Hours
- CE classes are shown on the Upcoming Training List above.
- ALS Courses: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) full two-day and recert one-day classes are offered monthly except in July. Advanced registration is required as seating is limited. Providers must hold a current card to attend the one-day recertification classes. Contact Suzie Helbert for more information.
- EVOC: Henry County Department of Public Safety offers both the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads (VAVRS) and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs (DFP) Emergency Vehicle Operators Courses (EVOC) classes 1,2, and 3 multiple times each year.
HCDPS offers a wide variety of additional classes each year to include Fire and EMS specialty classes and Emergency Management classes. Henry County volunteer Fire and EMS agencies also offer various classes throughout the year. For the most recent updates of classes offered follow Henry County Department of Public Safety on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and subscribe to notifications. All classes are held at the HCDPS Emergency Services Training Center located at:
1024 DuPont Road
Martinsville, VA 24112
Please subscribe to receive email notifications of events and training going on pertaining to the Henry County Emergency Services System.
HCDPS Training Division
Deputy Director, Chief of Training and Volunteer Coordination: Email Suzie Helbert, Phone: 276-634-4662
Assistant Chief of Training (Fire): Email Kenny Shumate, Phone: 276-634-4658